Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Back Splash

Back splashes service both function and form. They make it easy to wipe off spills and drips and provide another area where you get to add great design, texture and color.
 These days the possibilities and products are as endless as your imagination!
Glass, Stone, Mosaics, Ceramic, Marble, Metal and so on....Because there are so many options it made this such a tricky decision for me.
 Eventually I just "bit the bullet" (over-thinking things, again) and went with a hand glazed ceramic.


I had 40 sq Ft to cover and didn't want to break the bank. I found this tile at home depot and it was reasonably priced and pretty! I loved the crackle and variation of tones with in it.

Getting started.

So here is one of my pet peeves.... You have a beautiful new back splash that you have paid a lot of money for and then all these ugly outlets/switches that cover that magnificent work that you just did!
No Thanks!
 I had 10 double outlets/light switches. Don't get me wrong I love a lot of power sources in a kitchen but 10!?
So I had my handyman husband move as many as he could to underneath the overhead cabinets. 
You cant see them but they are still there!
Genius, I know!


Some day I may even touch up the paint under there.


Because we re-wired, we had some patching to do, and we had to remove one of my shelves in order to tile behind it.


Let the fun begin!

I used 1/8" spacers for minimal grout.
The process is much like frosting a cake and anyone can do it.
Kurt placed the tile and I "buttered" them.


Below is what it looked liked before the grout. I have always been the  "designated grouter" with every tile job we've done.


We left off the tiles that needed holes drilled for the shelves. That required special drill bits and a patient husband.


Love that guy!


 Above are the tiles with holes for my shelves.
Below is the finished product with grout and all.


Not a plug in sight!
Below you can see where they are hiding.



With the shelves back up.
Those plugs had no where to hide. I still eliminated one power point above the sink and a phone jack! Imagine 2 more plugs there!


Finally seeing how it all comes together. It really does make the kitchen feel more finished and I think cozier. I couldn't be happier with how well it turned out! What do you think?




3 comments:

  1. gorgeous, brooke! I love how cozy and warm it is. LOVE your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love every bit of it. I'm assuming the home beautiful magazines have come knocking! ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your kitchen! The finishes are all very similar to what I am considering for our upcoming kitchen remodel! It's so clean and inviting looking! In fact, the Home Depot crackle subway tile is currently our top contender for our backsplash right now. Since there isn't a bullnose, how did you deal with the exposed edge along the top row? Just caulk and paint?

    ReplyDelete